EASTERN AREA AGENCY ON AGING
VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENT: Volunteer Health Advocate
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
GOAL OF ASSIGNMENT: To assist older people, caregivers for older people or disabled people over the age of 18 in making effective use of local health care resources by addressing access issues and empowering self-management.
As part of the community services team, Volunteer Health Advocates help attain this goal by providing information to clients, along with listening support and concrete assistance.
Experience and Education/Skills Desired:
· High School diploma or GED preferred.
· Experience working with the elderly and/or disabled adults preferred.
· Knowledge of services and programs available for older persons preferred.
· 1-2 years of experience working with elderly persons or adults with disabilities or working in a community service position preferred.
· Experience with word processing, spreadsheet and database computer software programs, as well as email and the internet, required.
· Experience doing telephone work preferred.
· Experience in public speaking preferred.
Estimated hours: 5 10 hours / week