How to Get Involved
FIND A VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY NEAR YOU
Last year, over 300 volunteers dedicated their time to provide thousands of hours of service to local older adults. Imagine how many more we could serve, if we had more volunteers!
If you are looking for an opportunity that will improve the quality of life for our older citizens, we’d like to have you join us. Not only will you be helping EAAA continue its mission, have a positive impact on the lives of older adults, but there are proven benefits for volunteers as well.
According to the Corporation for National & Community Service The Health Benefits of Volunteering “a review of Recent Research”, health benefits include:
- Helper’s High: a positive feeling common among people who volunteer
- Increased trust in others and the resources available in the community
- Increased social and political participation
- Lower mortality rates
- Greater functional ability
- Lower rates of depression
- Reduced symptoms of chronic pain
- Reduced symptoms of heart disease
Also, these benefits INCREASE as a person ages. The older the volunteer, the more prevalent these benefits.
Volunteer possibilities include delivering Meals on Wheels to homebound older adults, providing Medicare counseling, preforming minor home repairs or light housekeeping, helping older adults with bill paying, helping distribute Commodity Supplement Food to low-income older adults, and many, many more!
“Help one another, there is no time like the present, and no present like the time.” ~ James Durst